Time for another Gordon & MacPhail sample to be reviewed. In the Wood Makes the Whisky campaign G&M has been sending us quite a few samples. This is one of them. A Caol Ila, distilled in 2004 and bottled in 2016 as an eleven year old whisky.
This particular whisky is bottled in the Connaisseurs Choice series and therefor has not been chill filtered or colored. It was bottled at an ABV of 46% and, regarding other CC-bottlings we’ve tasted, that should be a nice ABV for this whisky. Gordon & MacPhail know their spirits and their casks. Let’s have a go!
Notes by Peter
- Nose: Smoke, leather, bacon, malt. Sweetness like honey and brown sugar.
- Taste: Smoke and sweet! A bit of leather and marmelade.
- Finish: Long, smoky sweetness!
What a wonderful dram, well balanced. If you like the smooth combination of smoke and sweet, try this!!
Notes by Jeroen
- Nose: Smoke, meaty, barbecued ham with a sweet honey marinade
- Taste: Smooth mouthfeel, delicate. Lovely balance between the smoke and the honey sweetness. Meaty here as well.
- Finish: Long finish, again smoky and sweet.
I really like this Caol Ila. It’s a bit sweeter than I’m used to with Caol Ila. Very smooth, very friendly, very drinkable!
Thanks G&M for sending us this lovely sample!